Monday, August 26, 2013

To Alaska and Beyond

A couple of months ago, my phone rang. I read Adam's name and quickly answered. He wanted me to guess who had just called me and, gauging the tone of his voice, I knew the caller was someone that I would never guess--the man who had rejected him twice for a surgical sales position. I almost fell off my chair. Namely, because the last time Adam had contact with this man a year and a half ago, that bridge had been blown to smithereens, or so we thought. He asked Adam if he was still pursuing a career in medical sales. Adam wasn't really sure how to respond as we had basically given up on that dream and he was staying pretty busy running his own business (unhappily, I might add). This man asked him how far he was willing to move to which Adam said, "Anywhere." "How about Anchorage?" Thus began our journey to what will be our future destination.
Movers are coming to pack up our house next weekend but it's being sent via container which means our stuff won't actually arrive in Anchorage for at least 30 days. We decided to stick around here living in very sparse conditions and then fly out all together October 7. Reality is setting in that we are, in fact, moving to the sub-Arctic!
It's strange how things happen in our lives seemingly out of the blue. I'm still not sure why we had to go through five years of hardship and suffering only to arrive at, what feels like, basically where we wanted to end up in the first place. Granted, Anchorage was NOT our first choice but a career-path was our first choice. I'm not going to lie, it's been HARD.It's a very difficult thing to accept that a righteous desire is not being fulfilled even though it feels like you're doing everything mostly right in your life. That is hard. I was struggling with a private pain that made me withdraw. I didn't want to make new friends in our new ward because I didn't want to be there. I didn't want to leave our home. I never wanted to leave our old ward in the first place and it was all happening outside of my control. MY control. It's a difficult process slowly letting go and accepting the fact that I'm not in control. Not really. I can't force something to happen if it's not supposed to happen, as much as I want it to. But sometimes the Lord surprises us and those surprises can be pretty amazing.
It's been an wonderful blessing to live in Adam's vacant family home rent-free for over two years. The time has flown by and, as much as I hated to move initially, I see now the hand of the Lord in that move and how it saved us financially. Sometimes, it takes years of perspective before we can see clearly why things happen to us. And a lot of times, I don't think we'll really know or understand until the next life. But I've learned to better trust in the Lord that He does take care of those who wait upon Him. And it's usually not in ways that we want or expect. 
We're excited for our new adventure. We'll only be in Anchorage up to 24 months and then we will relocate somewhere in the lower 48, depending where there are openings with the company. Of course, our dream is to come back to Boise but maybe the Lord has other plans for us. Guess we'll see!

5 comments:

Cara said...

I'm bummed that we missed your farewell party, but we are excited for you guys to pursue your dreams. Best of luck in Alaska!

Helen said...

We will miss you guys! Oscar will miss James especially. So happy that after all the waiting, this dream is happening for you all. Hope it leads you back here, but enjoy the adventure!

Jana said...

Good luck; I'm glad things finally have fallen into place for this to happen. Since you'll be so far away, you'll have to blog lots, right? (for your family too, not just my entertainment...)

Angie said...

Thanks everyone for your support and encouragement. It means a lot. Jana, yes, I will need to blog a lot more.

Jessica said...

Alaska! State of my dreams! I've never been to anchorage but one of my dearest friends I met while working in Glacier Bay still lives there. See if you can look her up: Christine Lohrstorfer. She's great. This is the adventure of a life time and one that will be exciting. I love the idea of hitting the reset button and starting new without any family or friends around. You'll do well and have fun. The access to recreation and wilderness is unrivaled.