Monday, November 15, 2010

The Long and the Short of It

I haven't really felt like posting lately. At least, not about anything that's really going on in our lives. Mostly, because there isn't a lot to report and what I do have to say is kind of negative. But, just to summarize some key events from the past month or two:

--Adam started working at DirecTV in the call center. Let's just say that Adam hating his job is a bit of an understatement.
--Decided to short sell the house like everyone else in America. I can't express my anger and frustration with our government and the mortgage crisis. I can't really think about it or else I get really upset. It sickens me that so much money was WASTED on government bailouts when every adult in the US could have personally been given enough money to significantly pay down or completely pay off our mortgages. Oh, how it angers me. And then, no one will help you UNLESS you are behind at least one payment. Hello! We needed help two years ago when Adam first lost his job but we struggled EVERY month to make our payment on time and maintain stellar credit. It's such a joke. A mortgage company would rather wait until you fall behind and the seller is either forced to short sell or the home goes into foreclosure and the bank LOSES a ton of money. It's insanity. If they would have worked with us before we fell behind and refinanced our mortgage, they would not be losing 50,000k plus dollars. The absolute stupidity of it all is completely mind boggling to me. It's such a waste for everyone involved.
--Decided not to take a full time job that was offered to me that actually paid pretty decently. Here's my reasoning--we aren't trying to save the house at this point. There's no valid reason to try to save it. And, as much as my kids drive me crazy sometimes, I am more than willing to go without a lot of things so that I can be home with them. I had to do several days of training before I was offered the job and those few days were horrible. James cried and said he didn't want me to go and that he wanted to be with me. I'm sorry, but it's just not worth it to me. I'll drive a crappy, piece of a car, and I'll wear the same clothes until they are worn out, or whatever, but I'm willing to pay that price to be at home. I was praying about whether I should take the job or not and I really felt that Heavenly Father would bless us for trying to do what He wants us to do. We talked about Adam quitting and me working since the job I was offered paid quite a bit more but it just didn't feel right to either or us. Adam is to provide and I am to take care of James and Ruby. I'm still looking for a part-time job, however.
--Moved out a bunch of stuff from our house over the weekend since, eventually, we won't be living here. It felt good to get rid of four car/truck loads of stuff.
--I guess that's about it. This has been a very humbling experience. It was so completely devastating to not get THE job a couple of months ago. I think we are just now starting to come out of the depression a little bit. I try to focus on the fact that we are all healthy, our family is intact, we have the gospel, and we have awesome friends and family. I guess in the end, those are the things that really matter and everything else is a nice bonus.

5 comments:

Unknown said...

Angie, you and Adam really amaze us with your stalwart faith. We have been through what you are experiencing, in fact we're just on the edge of being able to provide what's necessary for the family, but we have always felt strongly that Matthew provide and I stay home. You're not alone! What you are doing will bring blessings. The down side, only God knows when they're coming. Chin up girl! Oh, and have you considered going to those employment meetings at the church? Are those even helpful? They may have a lead on a part-time.

The VIPs said...

I can only echo what Sarah said- we've been there too but not for as long and even with Justin's job still struggle to make ends meet every month. But we're with you that we feel like we get blessings by me staying home. Hang in there.

And just think: If trials are supposed to make us stronger, you guys must be body builders by now. Yep- way too tan, greased up, scary looking body builders. : )

jayna said...

so sorry to hear it, angie. i agree with you.. the housing crisis never needed to be a crisis. banks are ridiculous. it makes me crazy thinking about it too. here's hoping 2011 has more sunnier moments.

Angie said...

Thanks you guys. Your encouragement means a lot especially coming from amazing people such as yourselves.

Helen said...

You guys have been through a lot. I hope things get better for you soon. Your right, you do have lots of blessings still. We can always count our blessings. But, darn it, sometimes we need a break. I hope you get one soon.