Wednesday, December 15, 2010

Post Script--Music

After writing my entry on music, I laid in bed last night and couldn't stop thinking about some of my musical obsessions over the years and when I say obsession I mean I bought at least two albums from one artist or group. Here are some of my musical loves throughout the years:
Neil Young
REM
U2
Bob Marley
Clumsy Lovers
Ani DiFranco
Sarah Maclachlan
Alison Krauss
Ryan Adams
Bare Naked Ladies
The Beatles
Rolling Stones
Garth Brooks
Tom Petty
Elton John
Michael Jackson
Ben Folds Five
Beck
Violent Femmes
Green Day
Built to Spill
Ray Charles
Lyle Lovett
The Cure
Ben Harper
Prince
Elvis
Modest Mouse
Paul Simon
Johnny Cash
Cake
Beach Boys
Weezer
Talking Heads
I also went through a classic rock phase in high school. Every morning senior year I had the Eagles, CCR, or Steve Miller blasting.
I love classic country as well along with classic jazz and blues along the lines of Etta James and Billie Holliday, Patsy Cline.
There are so many music loves. I almost don't want to publish this list because it's definitely not comprehensive. I've only listed some of the artists that I have multiple albums of.
You may wonder why I chose to blog about something that no one really cares about other than myself. Here's the reason-- music was such a huge part of my life before I got married. My friends and I talked about music and books a lot. We spent a lot of time on the weekends going to concerts or hanging out in smoky bars to hear a favorite band play or to dance the night away. I guess one of the reasons I decided to start a blog in the first place was so that I could have a place to write about who I am both as a mother as well as the non-mother part of me. Some days I feel so disconnected from my non-mother part of who I am and sometimes I miss it. This is who I am outside of motherhood and I hope to be able to pass on my passion for music to my children.
Who are some of your music obsessions?

3 comments:

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

What about Smashing Pumpkins? You were totally into them while we lived in Nauvoo. I noticed you didn't include the Rocky 4 soundtrack ;)

Unknown said...

Beatles, Elvis, Ella Fitzgerald, Queen, NKOTB (the early years), Santana, CCR, Cyndi Lauper, The Soulutions, My Man Friday and Coldplay; just to name a few!
I know what you mean about the non-mother part. I sometimes feel like I have a "secret identity" as Sarah the "loves music, books, partying, dancing and staying up until all hours" girl.

jayna said...

i also love music!! great post!!