Tuesday, May 8, 2012

Be Kind to Your Web-footed Friends...

A couple of months ago, we decided we would start a new journey by getting a pet(s). Adam and I decided that a dog was definitely out. I'm forever ruined on dogs due to my in-laws awful canines. I can't stand fur scattered around the house, I hate dogs' slobbery tongues and stinky breath, and I especially don't like picking up their nasty poop. That, and I don't have time for a dog since my plate is pretty full already with three kids. A cat was never even an option. I hate cats. I haaaate cats. I developed a special loathing for cats at our old place when every bloody cat in the neighborhood decided to use our yard as it's toilet. No thanks. I hate cats. So, we decided to get chickens because 1) they are ALWAYS an outdoor pet 2) they produce something useful 3) James was really excited about getting some. Mind you, I never thought that we would ever actually get chickens until I woke up one morning to the sound of a hammer and looked out the window to see Adam building the darling little coop in the picture. (Side note: Adam never ceases to amaze me with his endless talent. He simply looked at a picture of a coop that he liked and went outside and built it. Amazing! That is not an easy thing to do. I can't build anything without detailed instructions.) So, we ended up with two ducks and four chickens. The other night, a raccoon broke into the fenced area and killed one of our ducks and a chicken. James was pretty heartbroken.
I have been so pleased and proud as I have watched James take care of his chickens. He checks on them first thing in the morning and multiple times throughout the day. He loves getting them out of their coop and holding them and running around the yard with them. He always refills their food and water as needed. He loves them. One day we came home to find that they had escaped the yard. We couldn't find them anywhere so we started circling the block. He was crying and crying and looked at me with big tears in his eyes and said, "Maybe they ran away because I didn't take good enough care of them and they wanted to find a new home." That was so sad. I assured him that he takes exceptional good care of them and that they just wanted to go on an adventure. Adam's brother came over to help us and found them right away, walking in a group half-way down the block. What a relief that they were all safe! James was so excited to see them.
James will frequently make 'deliveries' to the house. He'll ring the doorbell and yell, "Delivery!!" and there will be a 5-gallon bucket with a chicken in it. He thinks that's hilarious. It has been a really great learning experience for James--he is learning responsibility and learning how to treat his pets with care and love. We have enjoyed adding them to the family.

1 comment:

Kreller Kaboodle said...

Chickens are really awesome! Too bad about the raccoon! Glad you still have a duck and some chickens left! That is an AWESOME coop!! We really miss our chickens! One day we'll get more! side note...LOVE James' mismatched shoes! A crock and a flip flop! AWESOME!! James is such an awesome kiddo!!