Monday, November 16, 2009

Perspective

I admit there were times during the last few weeks when I felt pretty sorry for myself, for Ruby, for our family in general. For Ruby's third surgery, we went to St. Luke's instead of St. Al's. I met an 8 year old girl that was battling cancer. I saw her in the playroom a lot, hooked up to oxygen, her pale bald head bent over her art work or games. I wanted to cry every time I saw her. I no longer felt sorry for myself. My Ruby was fixable-- she would be able to leave eventually. This girl, Raegen, had been in the hospital for 27 days straight and was staying another week for chemo treatments. I can't imagine facing something like that as a parent. I had a small taste of what it's like to see my child suffering, feeling helpless and confused, the endless hours of monotony at the hospital. That was nothing compared to what Raegen and her family have experienced. We may be dirt poor, we may be frustrated with our job situation, we may feel like our situation is never going to change, but at least we are healthy and our children are healthy and for that I am very grateful.

6 comments:

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

I am glad Ruby is doing better. I am sorry you had to go through all of that. I can't even begin to imagine how difficult it must be to watch your child suffer. I really hope I never have to find out. I am also incredibly grateful for good health. I am also grateful for modern medicine...those poor pioneer women who had to watch their children die from ailments that we can manage now.

Cara said...

So sorry you guys have had such a hard time. But you've got the right attitude focusing on the positive. Hang in there, this too shall pass.

The VIPs said...

amen

mo12miller@gmail.com said...

ditto. we love you.

Keith, Nydia and Presly said...

AMEN to that! I'm so glad Ruby is better, and I hope Reagen does, too.

Angie said...

Yes, I am extremely grateful for modern medicine. Simple cures for us today would have been deadly not that long ago.
Thanks for all of the comments. I didn't realize anybody actually read my blog:)
Also, some of you have been asking what caused this and the doctors don't really know other than it probably started out as a virus and settled in her lymph nodes. Her doctor has never seen it come back three times like it did with her. We think it's gone for good now.