Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Favorite Ornaments

I look forward to putting up the Christmas tree every year. Over the years, I've collected ornaments from my various travels so for me, decorating the tree recalls pleasant and wonderful memories and whisks me away into quiet reverie. I wanted to share a few of my favorites. I collected the above ornament during my last trip to Nauvoo. It is a replica of one of the star windows which graces the top of the Nauvoo temple. Nauvoo is one of my favorite places in the world.
I found the little guy below in a small Christmas shop in Berlin around the corner from Checkpoint Charlie. He's traveled thousands of miles in my backpack with me. He makes me smile and radiates German tradition.
I found this little bird at an outdoor Christmas market during my first trip to Germany on the streets of Frankfurt. She's such a pretty little bird and, it's hard to tell, but her wings are made of wood.

I found this little Waterford crystal angel while perusing the multi-tiered Harrod's of London. She was one of the few items I could actually afford. When I look at her, I can almost smell the fresh-roasted nuts that wafted through the streets of London, warm and delicious.



This is my favorite and most cherished ornament. When Adam I were still dating, (I guess technically we were broken up) he decided to backpack around Europe. He bought this for me in Venice- all hand-blown glass. It is so beautifully delicate and intricate. It amazes me every time I look at it and hold it. It is a wonderful momento of our courtship.



I would love to see some of your favorite ornaments and stories behind them!



2 comments:

The VIPs said...

awesome post. I have no favorite ornaments. Sad huh? All the ones I made when I was a kid are at my parent's house, and Audrey hasn't made any. For right now we just have red and gold balls. I'll have to get working on getting some more interesting ornamnets

Emily and Owen Johnston said...

I loved your post!! That would be fun to have a tree with ornaments that actually mean something to you!!! Beautiful ornaments!