Thursday, July 7, 2011

Walk-Ins Welcome?

I have to say it here because I can't say it on Facebook, even though I would really like to. Ok, does anyone else find it odd that my brother-in-law, Adam's oldest brother, just walks into our house without knocking? I mean, I understand that we're living at his grandma's house and that he has never had to knock before but we're living here now and I find it really rude when he just walks in. One time he came over and it was just me at home, deathly sick on the couch and my mom had taken the kids for the day. I thought it was Adam but when I looked up it was my BIL looking down at me with his little daughter and it was really uncomfortable. I mean, I was sick and had he knocked, I would not have even answered the door. Instead, I was forced to make small talk with him for a good 20-30 minutes while he hung around for awhile. I honestly would not mind at all and don't mind when women-folk in the family stop by and they don't knock but it feels totally different when a male member of the family comes barging in unannounced. I mean, we go to the pool a lot and maybe I would prefer to be a little more covered up if company is coming over or whatever. Not that I walk around the house naked or anything but I suppose it's my right to do so. He came over the other day without knocking and was surprised to find Adam home, like he was just going to hang out with me and the kids, which is fine but I would prefer a knock at the door. Or am I being too uptight?

6 comments:

Emily and Owen Johnston said...

no. you're right. that is weird and awkward for everybody. My favorite part was when he was surprised to find adam home...hahah (you would think he would be glad is brother is there to entertain him!) That's funny!

sara :) said...

I still think he's hoping to catch you guys doing it on the kitchen floor.

Jana said...

That is definitely odd/weird/not appropriate. Does Adam feel comfortable asking him to start knocking?? If not, I'd make up a crime spree in the area and start locking the door during the day for a while . . .

Me said...

I am having a similar problem with Nathan's sister. She lives next door, and there have been many times where she has walked in on me either napping or nursing Mackay wearing only underwear. Hopefully your Brother-in-law figures out knocking soon!

Keesha n David Brown said...

I would keep the doors locked. I keep my doors locked during the day because I'm paranoid that my children might open the door to a solicitor or someone while I'm in the bathroom or nursing the baby or something. If I am expecting a family member or close friend then I might leave it unlocked and instruct them to walk in. However, because I keep the doors locked, even my brother and parents usually have to knock when they come to see us. ;)

Angie said...

I know this is a late comment, but yeah, I need to start locking the doors. It's just hard to remember when the kids are in and out and he rarely comes over anyway. And Sara, that is just gross on so many levels.