Friday, November 21, 2008

YWIE



Last week for Young Women's we had our annual Young Women in Excellence night. It was very successful and I think the young women really enjoyed it. Many of the parents came as well as two members of our stake presidency and all of the YW stake presidency. We had the girls vote beforehand what they wanted the theme for the evening to be and half of them wanted a temple theme and the other half wanted a garden/flower theme. We decided to compromise and do them both- a temple garden. Besides, what goes together better than temples and flowers? It was held in the RS room and we filled the room with various pictures of temples and flowers and a few fresh flowers. Our special guest speaker was a sister who does landscaping at the temple. I think the girls enjoyed hearing from her and not from their boring leaders AGAIN. I had each of the girls tell me their favorite temple and then I ordered 5x7 pictures from LDS distribution and bought some frames from the dollar store. Unfortunately, the pictures did not arrive in time for our special evening. I finally got them just the other day. The YW were really excited when I told them I had a picture of their favorite temple to hang in their room. There was a nice spirit at our meeting and it helped reenforce Sister Dalton's emphasis on temples. Her talk in the last General Conference "A Return to Virtue" was powerful and went along with our theme perfectly. My young women are strong and steadfast. Most of them have strong testimonies and try their best to live virtuously in the face of so much sleaze and filth that encompasses them on a daily basis. It's comforting to know that, in spite of the world becoming increasingly more wicked, if I teach my children correct principles and point them towards the temple then I don't need to worry or live in fear.

2 comments:

Jiles Pfamily said...

you are a good yw leader. i bet your girls adore you. i often wonder what i need to do to keep my kids safe. thanks for the reminder!

The VIPs said...

I REALLY REALLY miss you guys and all the girls.