Sunday, September 27, 2009

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle


I am an avid recycler. I'm actually slightly compulsive about it. My husband thought I was crazy when we were newlyweds but now he's gotten used to it. I love the new city bins that were recently delivered. They have made it so easy to recycle now--no sorting just throw it in the bin. I love the fact that my recycling bin is more full than my garbage bin by the time trash day comes around. It makes me feel good. It makes me feel like I'm not just consuming, consuming, consuming and throwing it all in the city dump. Call me anal, but it irks me when I pass a trash can full of empty plastic water bottles or aluminum pop cans. How hard is it to take it home and put it in your recycling bin? It bothers me when people don't care especially when members of the church don't care. If anything, we should care more. I despise the mentality that the Lord has given us this Earth to use it's resources however we want--just use it up because "there is enough and to spare." There is only "enough and to spare" if we use those resources righteously. There is an island of trash the size of Texas floating in the ocean off the Asian continent. That is crazy! The size of bloomin' Texas! I wish I could do more but it makes me feel good that at least I'm doing my part to limit how much of my trash is dumped in the landfill. It's awesome that most items can be recycled. The city of Boise has made it so easy so just do it! It will make you feel good.

This is the best article I have ever read regarding LDS theology and environmentalism. It's pretty lengthy but interesting. http://josephsmithconferenceloc.byu.edu/shop/pdfsrc/40.2Handley.pdf

No comments: