Friday, July 16, 2010

Friends



A couple of weeks ago, one of my friends from high school/college/post-college, came back to Boise to visit her family. We had the chance to go out to lunch and chat. It was so fun and I couldn't help but think of some of our crazy adventures together. The best one being the time we drove my tiny Subaru cross-country starting in Boise, down to the Grand Canyon, across Colorado, Kansas and over to Missouri, up to Nauvoo, and headed back home via Iowa, South Dakota, Yellowstone and Wyoming. We stopped at many of the National Parks along the way. It was epoch! We slept in the car, drove all night some nights, camped in Nauvoo, freshened up at gas stations, and witnessed some of the most beautiful places in America. It felt so free. The road was our destiny. Now that I'm a mom, I can only imagine how nervous our mothers were when we left, especially since it was before cell phones were so widely used and owned.
I think the best memory of that trip was when we stopped at Adam-Ondi-Ahman just before dusk. For those of you who have never been there, it is literally out in the middle of nowhere and all it is is farmland and rolling hills. We were the only ones there. We got out of the car and walked around for a bit and then we were attacked by a giant Mayfly. It would not leave us alone. We would run and it would chase us. We would stop, thinking it had gone away only to discover that it was on one of our shoulders. Then we would scream and run some more. All the while, we are getting farther and farther away from the car and it was quickly getting darker. We finally decided to say a prayer. So, while running, Amy says this quick prayer out loud and the thing flies away. So funny now but at the time it was pretty scary. We were crazy.
This is one of my favorite quotes about friendship:
"All of us should strive, therefore, to have some friendships that are deep and solid--so solid, for instance, that if they were interrupted, the unfinished conversation could be resumed months later almost in mid-sentence, just as if we had never been apart. You and I are believers in and preachers of a glorious gospel that can deepen all human relationships now as well as projecting all relationships into eternity. Friendships, as well as families, are forever." --Neal A. Maxwell

4 comments:

Emily and Owen Johnston said...

That is a beautiful quote!! Remember when Lucy and Ethel sang that song "FRIENDSHIP, FRIENDSHIP........" in thier annoying singing voices!

Cara said...

I don't think I've heard that quote before. Thanks for sharing.

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

Oh to be young and free! That trip does sound epic. I wish I was more spontaneous back when I was single. I love the quote!

Bluestripe55 said...

Ahh! That fly! i remember that night like it happened yesterday. What a great post (the pictures of me... not so much) and what a great adventure we had. I have to say that i have struggled with finding friends here in Phoenix and always think "I do have good friends" and although i am not the best in keeping contact with you i am so glad that we are friends! Love ya.