Friday, January 21, 2011

A Change Gonna Come






Isn't change an odd, unexpected thing sometimes? I have a love/hate relationship with change as I'm sure most people do. We got an offer on the house earlier this week and Adam and I both had a flood of emotions. Relief. Finally, we will be officially unburdened by home ownership. But mostly there was a lot of unexpected sadness. We were both a little misty-eyed as we talked about the reality of leaving our home, the only home our children have ever known, in less than two months. Two months! For years, the house has felt like dead weight-- the mortgage, the upkeep, the repairs, the mortgage, the mortgage, the mortgage, always hanging over our heads, month after month after month. So the sadness caught me a little off-guard. I finally realized that I really do love our home. Over the years I've called it many a name but when it comes down to it, it's been a great little home. We love our ward and have made so many wonderful friends. Our neighbors are the most Christian-like neighbors in the world. Our kids love our house; it's their home. I'm not looking forward to hearing James ask after we move when we can go back to our house.
The interesting part is that the couple who made the offer is family to an acquaintance of ours so we looked them up on Facebook. Their pictures were for public viewing and it was like looking at ourselves five years ago when we bought the house. They are a very nice couple with an infant. I couldn't help but think about how excited we were when we bought this house, our first house. We had so many plans for our lives, for the house, for our family. Life really hasn't gone the way we thought it would. I guess that's the beauty of youth; we're so naive and inexperienced and full of optimism. It's very sad to think about all of the money spent updating the house only to lose it all and allow someone else to enjoy it. I am very happy, though, that this lovely family will be buying our home and not some faceless investor who would turn it into a rental. If this couple was like us, then I know they are excited to move in to their new home and start the next phase of their lives. I know they must really love it because they would have chosen one of the other 1000's of homes on the market in this area. It makes me happy to think that someone else really will enjoy and appreciate the fruits of our labors. I hope they enjoy our house as much as we did. It's small and the yard looks horrid and it only has one bathroom, but it was our home and it was good to us.
Now we look to the future and we are still optimistic and hopeful but a little more cautiously then we were five years ago. I know Heavenly Father is moving us in this direction for a reason. It was time for a change and now a change has come. We have two job prospects in the works so anything is possible. I know we will be taken care of now matter what happens. "Consider the lilies..."

3 comments:

Kreller Kaboodle said...

You are amazing Angie!! I love reading your posts! I know I've said that before but I really do! I can't imagine exactly what you're going through but you seem to have some great faith and you know that everything will work out! I love that about you! You Redford's are really good people!!!!!!!

The VIPs said...

Everything will work out for you guys, you're too great for it not to.


btw, this may be inappropriate but- cutest shower curtain EVER. :)

Emily and Owen Johnston said...

um TWO job prospects? I haven't talked to you since Wed. and I miss out on what's going on! I'll call you tomorrow. By the way I haven't been able to get a hold of Owen's mom :( Also, I'm glad a family is buying your home. I think ours will be turned into a rental and I was a little sad about that. But whatevs, gotta get rid of it!