Tuesday, May 31, 2011

PBS Memorial Day Concert 2007



This is an amazing, heart-wrenching video. It makes me so grateful for the knowledge I have of the plan of salvation and the peace that is only found in the atonement of Jesus Christ. Surely Christ and Heavenly Father have shed many tears with this poor mother in her unbearable hours of grief, just as they weep with us in our times of trouble.
I want my children to know and understand that the life we enjoy today was not given to us cheaply. From the founding of this country, many lives have been sacrificed in order to preserve our freedom. I want my children to live with a feeling of gratitude for those who have gone before and those who are serving now. We had such a nice time at the Memorial Service at the Veteran's Cemetery yesterday and I hope to make it an annual tradition for our family. As one Vietnam veteran put it, there's still lots of time left in the day to have barbecue's and parties but the day should start with remembering.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

We went to the mall on Saturday night and it was so wonderful to be at the WWII monument with my son and so many other Americans. The memorial was covered in flowers and photographic tributes to fallen soldiers. It was sobering and beautiful.