Sunday, October 12, 2008

Funeral

The father of one of my very good friends passed away last Friday and I attended the funeral on Wednesday. My friend and his dad were close and it was hard to see him hurting. Funerals always make me reflect on my own life and how I can improve my relationships with my loved ones. I realized that I couldn't remember the last time I had a conversation with my dad. I think it's been years, literally, and yet I see him every Sunday and a few times during the week. Either he's always asleep (I'm serious, he borders on narcolepsy) or I'm busy with the kids, etc, etc.
I also thought about my friends. I sat on a row next to several of my very close friends and I thought about how we hardly see each other anymore, perhaps only two or three times a year even though we all live in the same city. I always say that I'll host more social functions when we have the house fixed up or we have money or we move into a bigger house... And yet while I'm making these excuses time keeps slipping by. I need to live more in the moment and 'enjoy the journey' as Pres. Monson counseled last week. I need to make more of an effort in all of my relationships and spend less time doing things that really won't make any difference in the grand scheme of things.

No comments: