Friday, October 24, 2008

Visiting Teaching

My visiting teachers came yesterday for their monthly visit. They are two of the oldest women in the ward and both have been widows for a number of years. They are sweet and gracious and caring. When they were first assigned to me, I couldn't help but wonder if there had been some mistake. However, it's been more than two years since they first started coming to my home and they have rarely missed a month. They are so kind and loving to my children and genuinely care about my family. They never seem like they're in a rush (well, they honestly have no other obligations) and they always sit next to each other on the couch and they hold hands as they laugh and reminisce about all of the years they've spent serving together in our ward. They always tell me to cherish the time I have with my children because it goes by so fast. It isn't unusual for one of them to get a little misty eyed when talking about the gospel and what it means to them and to their children and grandchildren. They both express such joy whenenever they talk about their families. They are happy and optimistic and encouraging and fun! I hope I have a full head of beautiful white hair when I'm old just like one of these sisters- a crown and symbol of all of her years of experience and wisdom. It makes me think of this quote by Elder Maxwell from my favorite book of his "All These Things Shall Give Thee Experience:"

Are not the real heroes and heroines of today those who are givers rather than demanders, those who are selfless rather than selfish, those who share rather than grab, those who care about tomorrow as well as today, and those who do their duty quietly without the accompaniment of crashing cymbals and trumpets? The faithful but perhaps plump woman whose nails are worn but who is a giving mother, wife, and neighbor has a queenly beauty and a regal way, if we would but see her as she really is; her beauty will not be taken from her by the passing years."

1 comment:

Brent, January, and Madelyn said...

You have such a way of writing your experiences...I really enjoy it!