Sunday, October 19, 2008

Quilts!







I am currently serving as the Young Women's president in my ward and for the last six months or so we've been working on a HUGE quilting project. In early Spring, my stake YW's president told us that Sister Cook from the general YW presidency was going to speak at a regional YW conference in October and every young woman in every stake was asked to make a quilt to donate to the humanitarian fund and all of the quilts were going to be presented to Sister Cook at the conference. Do you know what kind of massive undertaking it is to have each girl make their own quilt and make sure it gets done right? Let's just say that I am soooo glad this project is over. It was a good experience and I'm glad we were able to donate nine quilts from our ward. That's pretty amazing considering we only have about 17 active girls, two of which joined YW's only a month ago. In total, there were over 300 quilts on display at the conference. It was wonderful to see so many beautiful quilts and to know that they would bring cheer and comfort to so many men, women and children. In my mind's eye, I can imagine a little child receiving one of those big warm blankets and I can almost see the excitement and joy in his or her face. I also think of the mother and how thankful she would be to know that her little child would be kept warm during the coming winter months. I'm grateful that I belong to a church that offers a variety of opportunities to serve.

4 comments:

Vip said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
The VIPs said...

I accidentally posted my first comment from Justin's account. Anyway, thanks for putting up pictures of the finished product- I really miss being there

Where The Wilds Things Are said...

What a great project. My old stake in Colorado made reading quilts for an organization in the Denver. All of the quilts were displayed and it was crazy how many were made...I beleive it was over 300. I love doing service project for the church's humanitarian efforts. Anyway, good work Pres. Redford!

Brent, January, and Madelyn said...

Those came out really nice!