Thursday, June 24, 2010

Can't Imagine

I just have to share a short paragraph from the book I'm reading right now, "Joseph Smith: Rough Stone Rolling" by Richard Lyman Bushman. (Didn't like it the first time so I decided to give it another try.
This is the story of Joseph's leg operation. Keep in mind he was only SIX years old at the time and had NO anesthesia.
"As the operation began, Lucy went out into the fields and left Joseph in his father's arms, the infected leg resting on folded sheets. The surgeons bored holes on each side of the leg bone and chipped off three large pieces. Joseph screamed when they broke off the first piece, and Lucy rushed back into the room. Sent away, she came back again as the third piece came off. Blood gushed from the open wound, and Joseph lay on the bed drenched in blood. He was 'pale as a corpse, and large drops of sweat were rolling down his face, whilst upon every feature was depicted the utmost agony!'"

I just have to say how thankful I am that I live in this period of time. Simple antibiotics would have healed his infected leg. So thankful for modern medicine and practices so that I don't have to see my children suffer from very treatable illnesses and infections. I'm so thankful that Heavenly Father has given us so much knowledge in all areas of life.

No comments: