Monday, June 14, 2010

Surprise!







About a week ago, my siblings and me and spouses threw a surprise 60th birthday party for my parents. We invited their closest friends from church, neighbors, and family members. They were shocked! We weren't sure how they would like it since both of them hate being the center of attention, especially my mom. But it ended up being a success and my dad said it was the best birthday present he's received in 60 years. Aw, so sweet. As you can see it was a beach party theme inspired by the movie 'Gidget' (one of my faves!). I can't take hardly any of the credit as my sisters were pretty much the masterminds behind it all. We had a dj who played some sweet music from the 60's and even my mom's mom and brother and his wife and my mom's sister made a special trip to be there.
My parents were born three days apart in the same hospital. They met for the first time in 6th grade and my dad said he's loved her since then. They grew up in Jerome, Idaho, went to high school together but didn't start dating until after they graduated. My dad used to visit my mom before they started dating and one day my grandma told him that if he had an interest in dating Connie then he had better read The Book of Mormon. So, he did and ended up joining the church. The rest, as they say, is history.
Btw, yes, the shirtless boy is my son. It was so blasted hot in the church and after all of the guests left I told him he could strip down. His hair was wet with sweat. I was tempted to follow suit.

No comments: