Sunday, September 12, 2010

Church Day

Today was one of those days when I feel like I didn't even go to church. My children were so embarrassingly loud and disruptive that Adam and I got NOTHING out of sacrament meeting and then we took turns helping out in the nursery. When Adam was serving as the Ward Mission leader a while ago, he went out to do visits with the ex-stake president/ex-Boise Mission councilor/ex-Bishop/current high counselor. This guys is super spiritual and talks like a general authority. They went to visit a less-active member of our ward and the general authority-like spiritual giant starts talking to the guy about sacrament meeting and how it's the highlight of his week to be able to sit for a few quiet moments and ponder the mission of our Savior. Adam and I have talked about that several times and how 99% of our sacrament meetings post-children have been anything BUT quiet and peaceful, not even leaving a few moments of quiet time to reflect on the sacrifice of our Savior. The less-active they were visiting was a young father of two small children like ourselves and Adam told him that he (Adam) doesn't usually get moments of reflection during sacrament meeting but he continues to go because he knows it's spiritually vital for himself and his family. Today was one of those days at church.
I must report, though, that James is consistently one of THE best kids in primary. And I'm not just saying that because I'm his mom. Teachers and leaders tell me all the time how he sits so quietly on the front row with his Sunbeam class and sings the songs and is never disruptive. It's amazing to me because he is the exact opposite at home. He is so obedient when Adam and I aren't around. I wonder when he will start being obedient for us.

2 comments:

Cara said...

I felt the same way today. I was in and out of the mother's lounge 4 times and found out that Brenton had been beating up on the girls in nursery and they had to go get Ben to discipline him. *sigh* parenting is rough sometimes.

Kim and family said...

I guess I should let you know when I am here. I heard someboby explain it well why we go through what we do as parents of young kids. They said the reason we go when we have little ones is so we don't lose the habit of going to church. It does get better. Even though I did have to remove one of mine from sacrament meeting until she was like 10. Guess who?
James is adorable. I get a big kick out of him.